Board of Trustees Election 2022
Date of next Board of Trustees election is November 8, 2022. Location to file Candidate applications is the ML Cisneros Education Support Center, 419 Bois D' Arc Street, Lockhart, TX 78644.
REQUIREMENTS AND DEADLINE FOR FILING FOR CANDIDACY (TEX. GOV’T CODE § 2051.152(A)(4))
Form, Content, and Procedure:
An application for a place on the ballot must be in writing; signed, sworn to by the candidate before a person authorized to administer an oath, and dated; timely filed with the district’s filing authority (often the superintendent’s secretary or another designated district employee); and contain specified information about the candidate:
• the candidate’s name, date of birth, and occupation;
• the candidate’s residence address or the address at which the candidate receives mail with a description of the location of the candidate’s residence;
• the candidate’s length of continuous residence in Texas and in the district (and single member district, if applicable) as of the date the candidate swears to the application;
• if available, a public mailing address and email address at which the candidate receives correspondence relating to the candidate’s campaign;
• the office sought, including any place or other distinguishing number and an indication of whether the office sought is for a full or unexpired term;
• statements that the candidate is a U.S. citizen; has not been determined by a court to be mentally incapacitated; has not been convicted of a felony; is aware of the nepotism law; and swears an oath to support and defend the U.S. and Texas Constitutions and laws.
An individual is eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to, aTexas school board if the individual:
• is a United States citizen;
• is 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
• has not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
• has not been finally convicted of a felony;
• has resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the following date: o for an independent candidate, the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot; o for a write-in candidate, the date of the election at which the candidate’s name is written in; or o for an appointee to an office, the date the appointment is made;
• is registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected on the date described above; and
• satisfies any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for the office.
Tex. Elec. Code § 141.001; Tex. Educ. Code § 11.066
The Texas Education Code imposes additional requirements:
• To be elected to a school board, an individual must be a qualified voter: 18 years of age or older, a U.S citizen, a Texas resident, a registered voter, not determined to be totally or partially mentally incapacitated by an appropriate court, and not finally convicted of a felony. Tex. Educ. Code § 11.061; Tex. Elec. Code § 11.002.
• A person is ineligible to serve on a school board if the person has been convicted of a felony or an offense under Texas Penal Code section 43.02(b) regarding prostitution. Tex. Educ. Code § 11.066.
For the candidate application and/or declaration of write-in candidacy forms (the Elections Division offers these forms) click the links below.
Texas Election Code sections 141.001 (eligibility requirements) and 141.0031 (application requirements)
The first day to file an application for a place on the ballot in a school district’s general election is the 30th day before the filing deadline. The filing deadline for a general election is 5 p.m. on the 78th day before election day. Tex. Educ. Code § 11.055(a); Tex. Elec. Code § 144.005. The deadline to file a declaration of write-in candidacy is 5 p.m. on the 74th day before election day.